The Need to Knows:
- The Kawainui Marsh Trail is located at 704 Kaha Street, Kailua, HI 96734. Its exact location can be found here:
- I don't think there are specific hours for the trail itself, but the park where the trailhead is located is open from 7 AM to 7 PM.
- There is a nice-sized parking lot available at the park where the trail starts.
- The trail itself is maybe about a mile and a half long or so (I'll have to measure it with GPS the next time I go to make sure).
- There's no shade on the trail, so I definitely suggest you bring water and wear sunscreen and possibly a hat.
- I'd definitely classify it as stroller friendly along with bike friendly, kid friendly, and dog friendly!
The Kawainui Marsh Trail is a great little paved path over in Kailua that winds through the Kawainui Marsh, a wetlands habitat that encompasses over 800 acres. The marsh is a habitat for many kinds of native endangered birds making it a great place to spot some wildlife, particularly ducks and geese, as well as some flowers along the way.
When the weather cooperates, the views of the Ko'olau Mountains can be just incredible. We were very lucky to have gone on such a pretty day, even if the sun was beating down on us haha. I highly recommend water, sunscreen, and/or a hat if you head over here, and if you're walking your dog, be careful with the temperature of the sidewalk's pavement. You don't want them to burn their paws!
It can be more crowded in the mornings and evenings, but I don't think it ever gets too bad. So if you find yourself on this side of the island, whether on vacation or spending some time with your friends and/or dogs, the Kawainui Marsh Trail is a great trail for doing some jogging, biking, or just getting some fresh air and exercise while admiring the beautiful scenery. It's a wonderful little gem of a place that I can't wait to get back to and enjoy some more!
Do you have any favorite relaxing walking trails in your area?